- What is RyzUp SmartGrass?
RyzUp SmartGrass is a sprayable plant growth regulator product for pastures that increases dry matter production when cool climate conditions (40° to 60° F) limit growth. By augmenting the natural level of gibberellins contained in plant tissue, leaves grow longer and faster resulting in increased amounts of dry matter and metabolizable energy per acre.
- What are the benefits of using RyzUp SmartGrass on pastures?
RyzUp SmartGrass improves livestock management and reduces supplemental feed costs by extending the annual grazing period during the early spring and late fall months. RyzUp SmartGrass also decreases the resting time required for paddocks to reach optimal grazing height, allowing for more frequent paddock rotations and better land utilization.
- To what extent has RyzUp SmartGrass been tested in the field?
Global field testing of RyzUp SmartGrass on pastures has been ongoing since 2003. As a result of these tests RyzUp SmartGrass has been commercialized in Australia, New Zealand, Chile and the United States.
- When should RyzUp SmartGrass be applied to grass-based pastures?
Application of RyzUp SmartGrass should be made when daily high temperatures are between 40° to 60° F. In the northern U.S. these conditions typically occur between October 1 and November 30 in the fall and March 15 and April 15 in the spring.
- Does RyzUp SmartGrass work under warm conditions?
Applications of RyzUp SmartGrass during warmer periods (average daily temperatures greater than 60° F) will not result in increased pasture growth due to sufficient natural gibberellin production.
- What species of pasture grass does RyzUp SmartGrass work on?
RyzUp SmartGrass has been shown to be effective on the cool season pasture grasses such as Kentucky Phalaris species.
- Can all livestock operations benefit from RyzUp SmartGrass?
RyzUp SmartGrass can benefit all pasture-based livestock systems, including dairy, beef, lamb, equine and goat operations.
- What effect does RyzUp SmartGrass have on pasture grass quality?
Extensive laboratory testing of field-treated pastures show no measurable difference in pasture quality as it relates to crude protein, acid detergent fiber or neutral detergent fiber.
- Is RyzUp SmartGrass NOP (National Organic Program) listed?
Yes. RyzUp SmartGrass's active ingredient and formulation components meet NOP standards for organic production.
- How should RyzUp SmartGrass be applied to pastures?
Apply 0.3 to 1.0 oz of formulated RyzUp SmartGrass in 10 to 20 gallons of water per acre using a conventional ground boom sprayer. Boom sprayers can be mounted on tractors, gators or UTVs for small paddock applications.
- How soon after application will RyzUp SmartGrass show a visual effect?
Typically the growth promoting effect of RyzUp SmartGrass can be seen within 7 to 10 days after application and will last about 28 days.
- How soon after application can grazing begin on treated pastures?
There is no pre-harvest interval (PHI) for RyzUp SmartGrass so grazing can begin immediately after application, but it is recommended to waith until optimal grazing height is achieved for the desired livestock species.
- Can RyzUp SmartGrass be applied multiple times?
Multiple applications of RyzUp SmartGrass can be made at 3- to 4-week intervals, up to 6 applications per season.
- How soon after pasture establishment can RyzUp SmartGrass be applied?
Pastures need sufficient root growth to sustain the additional vegetative growth that will occur with use of RyzUp SmartGrass. Typically this means pastures should not be treated during the first season after planting.
- Does RyzUp SmartGrass contain fertilizer or need fertilizer to work?
RyzUp SmartGrass does not contain fertilizer. However, for optimal performance RyzUp SmartGrass should be used on pastures where both nutrition and water are not limited. Use of RyzUp SmartGrass in a nitrogen-based fertilizer program has shown dramatic improvements in pasture growth beyond the nitrogen effect alone.
- Does an adjuvant (surfactant, wetting agent, etc.) need to be used with RyzUp SmartGrass?
The addition of a wetting agent/surfactant may help coverage and/or penetration on grass species with a heavy wax cuticle.
- Why do RyzUp SmartGrass-treated pastures sometimes look lighter green than untreated pastures?
It is normal for RyzUp SmartGrass-treated pastures to take on a lighter appearance (light green as opposed to dark green) soon after application. This change in color is due to a dilution in chlorophyll that takes place in plant tissue as a result of rapid plant growth. This dilution effect does not impact pasture quality and typically disappears within 14-28 days.
- Can RyzUp SmartGrass cause phytotoxicity to my pastures?
If used as labeled RyzUp SmartGrass is not phytotoxic to pastures.
- Can RyzUp SmartGrass be tank mixed with herbicides or insecticides?
Extensive compatibility testing of RyzUp SmartGrass with herbicides and insecticides has not yet been conducted. If tank mixing is desired always conduct a jar test first to determine compatibility. If compatible, treat a small plot with the mixture to test for phytotoxicity and performance.
- Will RyzUp SmartGrass work when nighttime temperatures drop below freezing?
Grass will typically recover from short periods of freezing and continue growth when daytime temperatures warm. RyzUp SmartGrass will increase grass growth under these conditions.